Monday, April 4, 2011

Next Up, Wilt!

Rather than watch that debacle of a national title game, I decided to watch some hockey.

It has been a pretty good game so far, if you're a Sharks fan, and San Jose is up 6-1 at the second intermission.

What isn't good is the deification of Joe Thornton. Apparently Joe's goal in the second gave him 999 points for the career, almost at the mythical 1,000.

After listening to how great a feat it was for half a period I could only ask myself one question. "Has anyone done more meaningless scoring than Joe Thornton outside of Hugh Hefner?"

Seriously, the highlight reel of big Joe goals in December is long. The highlight reel of Joe's playoff heroics is actually a snuff film that someone is trying to hide behind a fake label.

San Jose has been one of the most disappointing teams in recent playoff memory, melting down repeatedly as a high seed. Bringing Joe over from the Bruins was supposed to solve all that. Turns out San Jose made a mark on Joe, not the other way around.

I put this milestone in the same category as Drew Bledsoe being 9th on the all time passer list, Steve DeBerg being high on the wins/TD list or sabermetrics in general. Yes I see your numbers. They lie. My eyes tell me all I need to know and I'd happily trade all 999 of those points for one decent play in the finals.
Stumble
Delicious
Technorati
Twitter
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment